Our Story: A New Business Model for a Socially-Conscious Business World
From the idea that a business can exist to benefit its community and that employees want more from careers than paychecks, sprung Impact Makers. We are a non-stock, competitive social venture led by senior consulting executives, dedicated and prepared to do things differently. Impact Makers competes head-to-head for contracts in the highly competitive professional services consulting world, and wins its fair share based on superior competence and performance.
There is one critical difference: Impact Makers’ “profits,” by corporate charter, go directly to its nonprofit community partners. Labeled “social entrepreneurship” or “public-private partnership” in academic, business and political circles worldwide, the idea is not new, but real-life implementations are rare indeed. Impact Makers is pioneering the application of this concept through an innovative new business model.
In 2012, Impact Makers was ranked no. 360 of the Inc. 500 List of Fastest Growing Private Companies in America, with three year sales growth of 1,030%. Business Week magazine named Impact Makers the second most promising social venture in the United States in 2009. The ranking recognized the nation’s top social entrepreneurs who are growing a business while also bringing about societal change.
Impact Makers is proud to be a founding B Corporation. B Corporations™ are a new type of corporation which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Corps meet comprehensive and transparent social, environmental and accountability standards. For more information, visit www.bcorporation.net.
Our Services: Management and IT Consulting for Healthcare, Government and Commercial Clients
Impact Makers provides management and information technology consulting services to commercial, governmental and healthcare clients nationally. In particular, we have core competencies, a solid services foundation, and a breadth of experience in the following areas:
- Program/Project Management, including Agile, Lean and Kanban methodologies
- Business Process Improvement/Reengineering
- Independent Validation and Verification (IV&V)
- Strategic Business and Information Systems Planning
- IT Governance
- Business Impact Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Health Information Exchanges and Electronic Medical Records
- Healthcare/Medical Management Strategy and Implementation
The company was founded in 2006 in Richmond, Virginia and is certified as a small business with the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise, the Maryland Small Business Reserve Program, and the Pennsylvania Small Business procurement initiative. With the Federal government, we are registered with the System for Award Management (SAM).
Our Clients: Benefit from the Triple Bottom Line
Our clients not only achieve their business goals via the work of a team of experienced consultants but also contribute directly to the welfare of their
community through Impact Makers’ contribution of profits to our nonprofit partners. It is a Win-Win-Win-Win proposition!
Customers get premium consulting and first rate project delivery to satisfy critical business needs. While at the same time, they participate in social consciousness, both in a direct financial contribution to Impact Makers’ partners and by supporting the Impact Makers’ business model.
- Impact Makers professionals get to do something they really care about while earning top wages for their valuable experience, skills and training. In addition to financial contributions, employees are given time each week to devote to direct, hands-on work with our nonprofit partners. The resulting increased job satisfaction enables Impact Makers to attract top candidates and to retain its employees longer than others in an industry where human capital and employee retention are of utmost value.
- The nonprofit partners get a recurring, sustainable income that frees precious resources previously consumed by fundraising and re-focuses them directly on services to the community.
- Society gets a working model of business success blended with social responsibility. When business, societal and individual needs converge, a powerful model emerges to challenge the way things are commonly done.
Our Community Partners: Impact to Date
Our current community partners are Rx Partnership, which provides free prescription medications to Virginia’s eligible uninsured, and Family Lifeline, formerly Children’s Health Involving Parents (CHIP) of Greater Richmond, which enriches the lives of children and the community by providing comprehensive services, in partnership with parents, to improve the overall health, well-being and independence of families. Our first partner was Safe Harbor, a domestic violence program and shelter.
Impact Makers has contributed more than $376,000 to our community partners in contributions and volunteer hours. We support our partners in the following ways.
- In 2012, our financial and in-kind contributions to Rx Partnership resulted in more than 9,954 free and vital prescriptions for 1,851 uninsured people in Virginia. We also provided pro bono technical support to Rx Partnership.
- Impact Makers’ contributions helped Family Lifeline ensure more than 90% of children received medical, dental and developmental screenings. Our pro bono consulting focused on leadership coaching, including performing a leadership and organizational inventory and implementing a change leadership process.
- From 2006 to 2008, we donated $41,000 to Safe Harbor, as well as more than 200 hours of consulting services. This enabled the addition of a Spanish-speaking case worker to support victims of domestic violence in the Richmond region.
Stay Connected with Impact Makers
Join our e-newsletter mailing list to keep up on the latest Impact Makers news and receive our exceptional monthly management blog. Enter your name and email in the form below.
Printer-Friendly Executive Summary
Click here for a printer-friendly version of this page.